Wednesday 14 February 2018

MY Top 10 Favourite Screen Couples!



Happy Valentine's Day, fellow fans! Most people, around today, are thinking about romantic love and their sweethearts. This is a blog about fandoms, and it looks like I'm the queen. (Wait. What?*) So, why not do a post about the more romantic side of things? I'm Clara Murphy, Queen of Fandoms, and here is a special Valentine's Day post for you all.

*Reference to Brian Hull doing Let It Go using multiple Disney voices. The second voice was Captain Jack Sparrow. Just in case you didn't see that one.

First, let me give credit where it's due. Thanks to Miss Mary Horton for the idea! She did a post with the same title, so I figured--since I love fandoms and am hopelessly romantic--I'd do the same. However, I won't do it just once. I might make it a... well, not a tradition, exactly, but I think I'll do more posts along this line in the future, around Valentine's Day.

Here's how this will work. I will make a list--with their names, things they're from, one or two pics (none of which are mine, BTW), and a little bit about them and why they're wonderful/adorable. They won't be in any particular order, just in the order I think of them. Assuming that I do more posts like this in future years, those will be in other media or just another extension of this particular list.

Also, 'screen couples' in this case means 'big-screen couples', or couples in films. Not including television, or radio shows, or books, or anything like that. Just films this first time. Because if I included anything else they might possibly take over everything. XD

SO, in film, and in no particular order, here are MY top 10 favourite screen couples.

---


1) Emmett Brown and Clara Clayton (Back to the Future 3)



Come on! Our very own Doc Brown... falling in love!

And not just any old falling-in-love. He literally saves her from certain death. She risks her life to get back to him when she realizes she was wrong. They stick up for each other at the dance. Plus, while it is Love At First Sight, they also grow closer and bond. That's what I like to see.



I honestly think this was the first time I just found a couple completely adorable. <3

I mean, we all know Doc Brown--quite literally a mad scientist. And I did like him before. But then this movie happened, and... BOOM. The Wild West did something to him, I think, and it is awesome. Clara's very nice too. She's a schoolteacher, and she loves science and Jules Verne and astronomy and this just makes her so perfect for Doc. The chemistry between them is brilliant.

Just one more reason I love those movies, I suppose. But everything about it is just so sweet, and really... innocent, I guess. And then the ending. I mean, really, how many times do you see couples in movies whose relationships actually end in... well, that? Couples usually just end up being officially boyfriend and girlfriend, which EVERYONE knows is the most stable relationship possible. *extreme sarcasm* And yet, with this, we have something that lasts. Maybe, it will "stand for all time".



*sigh!* This is the sort of thing that needs to COME back to the future, okay?


2) Prince Adam and Belle (Beauty and the Beast, 1991)




Okay, first off, Belle. Having been a bookish girl who loses herself in stories and has always wanted adventure in fantastic other worlds... I kind of get her. She's liked by all, but understood by none. She lives in the world of imagination, and the rest of the people, well, don't. And maybe it's those stories she reads--along with her natural love for her father--that gives her the courage to take her father's place, thus kicking off the story.

But the Beast is good too. Okay, okay, Prince Adam is his real name. He doesn't start out good, though. He starts out as a bratty, selfish, temperamental boy. Think Kylo Ren without the Sith powers and praying to Vader. That's what gets him into this mess of enchantment. But he's touched by the girl, and wonders if she might be the one.

I won't go through the whole story, but one of my favourite parts is where he shows her the grand library. That's just really, really cool. Any bookish girl knows how much that meant to her.



I think a lot of people understand their relationship on a personal level. I've read people saying that this story could have been about them. "That small town girl who felt out of place and sang about her love of books and stories could have been me. The huge beast, alone and outcast, whose life was transformed by love, could have been John."

I guess it is a Tale As Old As Time.


3) Han Solo and Leia Organa (Star Wars 4-7)


Yes, I kind of stole this answer from Mary. ;)


And like she said, you probably don't need an explanation. Han Solo is awesome, clearly. Leia is great too--an actual Strong Female Character instead of a Sullen Action Girl. They're both rather sassy. In the words of one CS Lewis, "they were so used to quarrelling and making it up again that they got married so as to go on doing it more conveniently."

This is definitely a classic film couple. And it is in fact rather touching. They sort of break down each other's defences as they begin to fall in love, and it's very sweet. The wandering rogue is inspired to rise above his past and himself, and the lofty princess is lowered from her pride enough to admit her love. And so they're even.


Wow, that got poetic. Comes from reading too much Shakespeare's Star Wars. ;) But it's true.


4) Kit and Ella (Cinderella)



This is the best remake Disney has ever done, no question. This actually surpasses the original.

In the original, the Prince had no personality at all, and kind of just "picked the hottest babe at the ball", in the words of somebody or other. Love At First Sight, it's fine. But they can't just meet and then get married the next day. Unless you at least bond before you launch a kingdom-wide search for her, or are willing to face a dragon for this girl you just met, I'm not sure I'd buy it.

But that's where this movie works best. They met before the ball, and neither knew who the other was. Prince Charming (AKA Kit) fell in love with her inner beauty, and couldn't stop thinking about her. It's the same with her. They're so sweet together, and they genuinely seem like they're in love. They seem real.




5) Robin Fitzooth and Marian Huntingdon (The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men)



If none of you remember, Disney made a live-action version of the story of Robin Hood back in the 1950s. IT WAS AMAZING. So much about this movie is awesome, but I'm just talking about Robin and Marian for now.

I think the main thing about them is that they're so... merry-spirited. What would you expect? But I think a lot of the more recent adaptations don't have that part down. That's why this one is so awesome. :D

In short, they're just so much fun. Even when bad things happen and they have to grow up a little, they don't lose that, er, merriness.

Oh, and they're also stubborn, so if they think the other or anyone else is in the wrong, they won't back down until either they're proven right or proven wrong. And by "proven wrong" I mean "knocked into the river by Little John". :P

Then of course, there was this. This is just after Marian has proven herself right--she'd gone out in disguise to find out the truth, and Robin and the men gave all their takings to her, so she could put it in the ransom money for Richard. This scene is what happens on the way back to the castle. Slightly more serious, though it still has a bit of fun.



I forgot to mention that the music is absolutely wonderful.


6) Steve Trevor and Diana of Themyscira (Wonder Woman)


Some reviewer described her favourite parts as, and I quote, "Dancing, baby, snowflakes, and... NOOOOOO!" XD Those things are just part of the wonderfulness that is this movie. Really, really sweet parts of it.

I love how Diana is all tough and strong and all, but at the same time so innocent and wonderful. And Steve--well, if this movie had been done wrong, he could have ended up as some weak unpowered man who needs Wonder Woman to come save him all the time. But no: he's a soldier and a spy, and he fights. And he is one of my favourite characters. (Makes that "NOOOOO!" so difficult for us all. :(  ).

And honestly, though, he has to keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't blow her cover in front of the whole city. It's fun to watch him try to make her seem like she fits in. ("Oh, sure, and suddenly she's NOT the most beautiful girl you've ever seen." *that secretary sarcasm*) He teaches her what our world is like. But it's not like trying to teach a caveman what a pizza is or something clichéd like that--Diana's intelligent, and opinionated, and she is on a very determined mission...

...and yet she jumps through revolving doors and melts at the sight of a baby. And is absolutely amazed at snow. GAHH, there is so much that I just absolutely love about this movie. Especially Diana and Steve.



This is a very unique and beautiful superhero story, and I love it so, so much. <3


7) Charlie Brown and the Little Red-Haired Girl (The Peanuts Movie)


See the source image



Does anyone not know about this one? Charlie Brown is in love with the little red-haired girl, but--being Charlie Brown--can't work up the nerve to go over and talk to her. The Peanuts Movie does this perfectly. Well, okay, it does EVERYTHING perfectly, but this part especially.



Charlie Brown does so much throughout the film to try and impress her. He tries to show that he's a winner, that he IS Something. But he keeps ending up embarrassed in front of everybody, and always because he does something nice for somebody else. (This movie really makes me love good old Charlie Brown, despite his bad luck.)



THEN that ending. *SPOILERS*



She volunteers on the last day of school to be Charlie Brown's pen pal over the holidays. He wants to know if she did it because she felt sorry for him, and goes on a mad dash to catch her before she leaves on the bus. When he gets there, he finally talks to her, and asks her: why would you want to be partners with me?



She says "That's easy: because I've seen the type of person you are ... when I look at you, I don't see a failure at all. You have all the qualities that I admire."


(Side note: there's almost a parallel between this and the story Snoopy's writing. Which just makes it even better. I almost put both of them in the title, but I don't know the girl pilot dog's name. It's pretty cool, though!)


I gotta agree with Linus: it must feel pretty great to be Charlie Brown right about now.


8) Kate McKay and Leopold Mountbatten (Kate and Leopold)



Did I mention I love time travel?

Okay, I don't usually watch movies that are over 64% romance; maybe because it starts to feel sappy and chick-flick-ish, and I like cool exciting movies better. Yeah, things like that can be fine (provided it's done really well), but if it's not, and the rest of the story isn't interesting, I'll probably skip it. This one is like 85% romance. But it is great.

First, Leopold is awesome. He's so smart and kind, and he tries to make every situation better wherever he goes. He's brave too--I love that part where he goes after a thief who stole Kate's purse and threatens to swordfight him. And he gets it back, too. Plus he's funny. He's honestly... well, GOOD.

Okay, Kate is fine too. She doesn't start out quite as well as he does, being just another career-woman. Still, by the end, [SPOILERS] she is willing to give up everything to be with him. That takes a lot of courage. (Reminds me of another movie, but that one had magic and evil sorcerers and frogs, and I'll probably be including it in another post.)

[END SPOILER]

In short, this is a really cool one. Maybe I just really like ones with old-fashioned guys and love that's THAT strong. Or maybe I just really love time travel. Who knows. ;)



9) Phillip and Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)



This one is a classic. That's Reason #1 to like it.

But really, even though they only met the one time, he was literally willing to fight a dragon to save her. If that's Love At First Sight, it's gotta be the strongest I've ever seen it. That is some powerful love.

You know... perhaps it's true; perhaps they really did meet Once Upon a Dream. That's an idea I would have loved to see explored in a remake. As it is, the remake ruins all this. Philip is pointless, doesn't even fight a dragon/the most evil witch ever/all the Powers of Hell to save Aurora. YOU HAD ONE JOB!

BUT, that's why we rewatch the original after every horrible remake. I'm not kidding, when I watched this after watching Maleficent, I just about cried SO MANY TIMES. This is so innocent, and yet so powerful.

Another reason I love it? This video.



This gives me chills every time. And that's a good thing!



10) Joseph and Mary (The Nativity Story)





*cue shock from all readers*

Yes, I just included THE Joseph and Mary in this list.

But watch the film. They were kind of thrown together by fate (or, well, Providence), and yet they're perfect together. I mean, not ACTUALLY perfect, but... you know what I mean.

Joseph is such a good man. Even when he thinks Mary was unfaithful, he still doesn't accuse her, but just divorces her quietly. He doesn't want her to get hurt. Then when they go on their journey to Bethlehem, he protects her in a lot of ways. He even saves her from drowning. Mary even says "My Son, You will have a good and decent man to raise you. A man who will give of himself before anyone else."





Okay, I have to remind myself that this whole section is not just about Joseph. Though he's truly a good man, and Oscar Isaac does a great job acting this part.

Mary is a nice girl, but... I don't know, maybe it was just her rather sulky reaction to her being betrothed. It's not like she should have been surprised. However, aside from that, I thought she was fine. The actress plays the part quite well.

In short, these two are the best representations of Joseph and Mary I've seen in a film. Their story is powerful, and they definitely earn their place on this list.




---

And that is my list! Were any of these a surprise? *cough, cough* #10 *cough, cough* Do we share any of the same favourites? Or were you just overwhelmed (if so, that's perfectly fine)? Please leave a comment down below!

This was just a post I thought I'd do, and I hope you enjoyed it. With that, I wish you a Happy Valentine's Day!


1 comment:

  1. Whoops! I'm late. *embarrassed look*

    I really like this post! I read it with my sister, and she liked it too. (You stole more than one from Mary's list, I believe). #10 WAS a surprise! My sister gasped loudly when she saw it. As a matter of fact, though, all of them are pretty much amazing.

    And that song in #9... oh my word, that was amazing. I definitely got chills. Do you like Blackmore's Night too, or did you just find the video and like it? (And the idea about them actually meeting once upon a dream is interesting. Dang it, New Disney.)

    I know it's way late, but Happy St. Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete